Saturday, 16 June 2012

Getting Bibby With It

I spent the week working on figuring out the labour time for my bibs.  Which meant lots and lots of cutting.  I worked it assembly style, first cutting the denim, then the cotton and appliques.  I'm hoping to have 36 finished up, photographed and ready to blog come Wednesday.

I also finished up the pink and grey chevron quilt that has been up on my design wall for a few weeks.  I'm looking forward to snapping some pictures of it in use by my adorable neighbour baby :).

Here's hoping you all had a wonderfully productive week.

Saturday, 9 June 2012

Weekly wrap up

I had 8 things on my to do list this week.  It's now Saturday night at 9pm and when I hit publish I will have achieved 5 of them.  Not too shabby with one more day left to be productive!

I pieced together this baby quilt using the tutorial at Crazy Mom Quilts .  It's not quite as long as I would like and I don't have enough pink fabric in this value range.  So instead of cutting off some of the pink when I square it up, I plan on adding more grey at the top and bottom.  That way I gain a few inches and get to show all of the pretty pink fabric :)

I also spent a lot of time at my machine quilting the bunting quilt.  It's my first time quilting a full size quilt and only my second time doing FMQ.  I'm happy with how it's turning out although it's very obvious to me that I have much to learn when it comes to free motion quilting.  It's on track to be finished tomorrow before my kids return from a camping trip with Nanny and Gampy :)

I hope you had a wonderful week
Leigh Anne

Friday, 1 June 2012

May Small Projects Wrap Up

Well May changed direction for me LOL.  Instead of knocking out a ton of small projects I ended up focusing on some pretty big projects.  I finished the front and back for two full size quilts.  And I decided that my energies really need to be focused on filling my etsy shop.

But I did finish up two more projects that were on my list.

I made a fabric book slings for Alexis' room in main fabric from her puff quilt.  I added an appliqued A and hung it at her height.  It seems she is a fan :)

I also gave our coffee table an overhaul.  I love the shape but the color doesn't work in our new home and the paint was chipping and scratched.  I gave it a light sanding followed by a bazillion coats of green spray paint.  I didn't realize until I had used up an entire can that I picked up the super light mist stuff.  I printed out a chevron template from Sunset magazine , followed their directions and sprayed over top with a light grey spray paint.

I had a few issues with the process.  The thumb tacks they suggest using left permanent holes in the wood :(  And while I was doing a top coat of lacquer spray (I have two young children who regularly use this table for eating.  It needed to clean easy!)  a gust of wind send dust over the top leaving streaks of the lightest red tint.  It's not visible in the pictures but I see it every time I look at it :(  Overall, it's still a vast improvement and I'm glad I tackled it.

Moving forward, the plan for June is to go full steam on filling my Etsy shop.  But I would also love to finish up the two quilts I have ready for quilting.  I am planning on updating at least once a week on here so expect some pretty pictures :)