Friday 15 November 2013

Clementine Cross Top: A Friday Finish

I've been working on this quilt for a while!  When October finally skidded to a finish, I knew it needed to get moved to the top of the pile.  It's getting cold!!  I spent a little extra time yesterday working on it to have ready for a Friday Finish post.


When I started this quilt, the plan was to make it 100" square.  As I stitched, the size started to freak me out.  I mostly do baby quilts, maybe a lap quilt!  So I measured my bed and decided that 80" square would be fine.  On Monday I arrived at 80" and brought it up to try out.


It wasn't good.  It only overlapped one block on each side.  Once it was quilted and washed I knew there would be problems for two blanket hogs like us :)  Back down to the studio it went.  I added two columns and one row to bring it to 100" x 90"


I'm excited to get this quilted up and in use.  But I'm also terrified.  This is a lot bigger than my previous largest quilt.  And I've decided to double the batting to make it super heavy and warm.  Thank goodness I've decided on straight line quilting!!

The best part?  This quilt kicks off a plan to redo our bedroom.  We have been married for 7 years, lived together for 2 years before that and never had a proper bed.   Our Christmas gift to each other is a solid maple bed!!  And just wait until you see the throw for the foot of the bed ;)

Linking up with Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts

9 comments:

  1. Ohhh it looks fab - I'm really keen to start a quilt especially with how cold the nights have been getting lately! Can't wait to see the new look :)

    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet. I love orange... and I am really loving those pillow shams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the orange. Great first piece to start off the makeover:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally love this! What a great color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Modern heaven! The orange is so pretty and lively. Enjoy that new bed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really super cool! I love that you're going to double the batting. I really should have done that for our bed quilt. Guess I'll have to make another ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks amazing! You can quilt it , I know you can!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me of a quilt Amanda Jean made. The simplicity makes it striking.

    ReplyDelete