Monday 6 January 2014

Move It Monday

Well, there is one good thing that has come from the last month.  It was a strong reminder of why I need to remain focused on eating well and exercising; even when life gets crazy.  And that rest week can't mean do nothing week.  And that 90 minutes a day is NOT maintainable with a family.  So three good things, I guess :)

Week four of P90X is a rest week.  There are still 90 minute workouts every day but they are things like Xstretch and Kenpo (which we both hate for it's lameness).  As a result, it becomes really easy to write them off as unimportant and not do them.  And then you are out of the habit and week 5 ends up missing 50% of workouts and then it's Christmas and company comes and, and, and.  You get the point.

I don't know about you, but when I'm not exercising, my eating quickly goes to pot.  Especially around holidays and/or birthdays.  And then I feel gross from eating junk and working out is not even remotely appealing.  One of those vicious cycles.

Fortunately, over the holidays a new P90x was released.  30 minute workouts!!  Yes, please.  We were both quickly on board and jumped back in eagerly on Thursday.  No waiting till Monday for us LOL.  Four workouts in and we have enjoyed all of them.  Jeremy even did the yoga without a single complaint.  Unheard of, people!

So while I didn't meet my goal of not gaining over the holidays, I'm being kind to myself (this has been my motto for the past 6 months or so).  What happened, happened and I can't change yesterday.  But I can change today!

How about you guys?  Any health/fitness resolutions on your list?  Did you keep it up over the holidays?  Any tips to share (please!)?

3 comments:

  1. Your motto - being kind to yourself -- is a great one. I think when you set exercise goals, it's too easy to look back and let some missed workouts trip you up, rather than doing what you're doing and looking forward to restart. I don't have any tips because I did the same thing that you did -- fell apart over the holidays. I think blogging is tremendously helpful though; I'm going to restart my Toning Up Thursday posts to help me stay on track, and I'll try to remember to drop by on Mondays to cheer you on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The holidays are the hardest time of all to keep active right - I only managed to do 3 out of the 5 runs I was meant to but like you I'm being kind to myself - some is better than none!
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tips: whatever you do, find something that works for you. Are you a list person? Keep a log. A social person? Connect with others. A goal oriented person? Write up your goal somewhere, sign up for a race or event. Know yourself: it may seem rather obvious (but it's not that easy) but, if you work out better in the morning, work-out in the morning, if you work out better at night, work out at night. Need to be kept accountable? Write a blog (you seem to have got that part), hire a professional trainer, or enlist some like-minded people to be your fitness mentors and keep you accountable.

    ReplyDelete