Friday 6 September 2013

Jumbo Churn Dash Finished!





Back at the beginning of summer, I started seeing churn dash projects popping up all over the internet.  I was intrigued.  But I'm not generally a fan of traditional quilts and I like fast finishes :)  Then one day, I got a vision of it in jumbo and I could NOT get it out of my head.  Thinking about it all day.  


So way back in July, while my children were staying with their grandparents I whipped this up.  Took me less than two hours.  That's my kind of quilt top LOL.  Honestly the hardest part was coming up with enough large fabric pieces in my desired colours!  Then I folded it up and added it to my pile of finished tops waiting to be quilted.


You see, I had a definite vision of how I wanted the quilting to look.  And when I know exactly how I want something to look I get scared that it will take forever, or I'll screw it up, or it won't turn out how I want it.  But that picture up there ^ ?  That is exactly how I envisioned this quilting.


After reading a few other's experiences with spiral quilting I followed their advice and FMQ the very center.  But before I started that I took an hour to mark the quilt.  I marked out every inch from the center up, down, left and right.  Then I simply rotated my ruler, keeping the center point as the start, and marked 3 or 4 angled lines in each quadrant.  You can see it a little more clearly in this post.  After that it was simply a matter of connecting the dots.


It's backed with Simply Color Ombre in Tangerine and bound in scrappy blue to match the front.  I am truly in love with this quilt.  It's such a perfect option for a baby girl or boy which is rare these days.  It's going to be hard to part with this one but it is listed in my shop.  Hopefully it will got to a home where it will be loved and used often!

15 comments:

  1. I love the idea of blowing up this traditional block and piecing it with modern colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jumbo indeed - it's great! Love the colours, the quilting, the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea! I also love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful and your quilting is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How clever. Great quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Simply Ombre backing is brilliant! That's a great use for that fabric. The spiral quilting looks great, what a good job you did with it. I know this one will be very well-loved, by whomever it ends up with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! the ombre backing and spiral quilting are just awesome! I love this quilt!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  8. The spiral quilting is lovely. I like how it contrasts with the square shapes of the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm new at quilting, my first quilt was an oversize pattern as well, so this quilt is right up my alley! Would you consider sharing the measurements/pattern with us?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this - so bright & cheery, simple and gives me a huge smile! The spiral quilting is fabulous. What is the finished size?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the large Churn Dash! - today I am painting metal ones! my husband just made some 24"er's for outdoor wall art!
    Check them out! http://redletterquilts.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-bit-of-mondrian-inspired-goings-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh!! It turned out so awesome!! Your FMQ is amazing!!! And I love the ombré for the back!!! Just love the whole thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is cool! I love the ombré backing. It's looks like a sunburst. I used a walking foot for spiral quilting. Couldn't get fmq spiral to look hoe I envisioned it should.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the combination of the tangerine and blue - very striking! I wouldn't think to use that combo but gosh it gives a really great effect. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete