Friday 20 September 2013

Mustaches!

I started and finished my first quilt for Project Inspiration this week.


This was a tutorial by Katy of I'm a Ginger Monkey for Fat Quarter Gang.  The tutorial has been languishing in my Pinterest folder for quite some time and I'm happy I finally made it.  I followed the tutorial very closely, if by very closely you mean downloading the mustache template and checking to see what size to cut my blocks LOL.


I used Therm o Web to heat set the mustaches and then raw edge appliqued them.  The fabric is all from Basic Grey's PB&J line for Moda.  I LOVE the fabrics for this projects.  Originally I was going to use all solids for the back and patterns for the mustaches but I'm glad I changed it up.  The navy mustaches are my favorite by far :)


I backed it with white dimple minky and bound it in the Navy Grunge Solid.  I didn't use batting but I did stitch in the ditch to hold the two layers together.  This was my first time "quilting" minky and it wasn't as bad as I feared.  That could have been thanks to the bazillion pins I used LOL.

Linking up with Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts.

8 comments:

  1. What a fun quilt! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I like this :) This is way awesome! I may have to add this to my quilty bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! I can just imagine the reaction it'd get at a baby shower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such a FUN quilt! I couldn't help but smile when I opened your post! so cute!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun is this little darling? Love the raw edge applique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!!! I have this tutorial pinned, as well - I just love mustaches. Great job on this.

    ReplyDelete