Wednesday 25 September 2013

WIP Wednesday Lite

Most of my sewing progress this week has been on my stock for the craft show in November but I did make a few blocks for the Molli Sparkles Broken Herringbone Quilt Along (MSBHQAL). 


I'll be honest.  These blocks are more than a little frustrating for me.  But they are getting easier with practice.  The first one took me an hour.  Then I did two at the same time and it took me an hour to do the two of them.  I have one more navy one almost complete and then it will be put on hold until I receive some swapped strings in the mail :)

In non sewing news, I started reading Harry Potter to my 7 year old this week.  It's been a few years since I read them for the first time and it is even better now.  She knows nothing about the story and is completely into already.  At the end of each chapter she groans "Why does is always have to end at the juicy bits!!".  And they've only just arrived at Hogwarts.  I can't wait to see her reactions when things start to actually happen!!

And this has me thinking of all the other books and series I loved as a child that I want to read with her.  So tell me, what are your favorite books/series from your childhood?

Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced.

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm...my favorite book series as a kid was probably the Little House on the Prairie series.
    Then as I was a teenager I moved to Sweet Valley High! :)
    I think these blocks of yours are super sharp looking! I'm sorry you've had a tough time getting into the swing of things with these, but it sounds like they're becoming a little easier as you go along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these blocks! They seriously make me want to join the QAL.

    My favorite series when I was a kid was the Lord of the Rings. I have such fond memories of my mom reading it to us when me and my siblings were younger. I can't wait for my daughter to be a little older so we can read Harry Potter and LOTR together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are looking awesome, Leigh Anne! Glad to hear they are getting easier to do as you go along.
    Little House on the Prairie was a great series. But I remember the weekly episodes on television better than the books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blocks! The yellow is my fav. I'm sure you can get them done faster with each next set right? I'd probably have the same feelings, hence why I hem and hawed about joining. I'm not one for patience!
    Oh gosh! I love that you are reading HP to your daughter! SO fun!! I got my 9 year old hooked on them too, I think she's on the 3rd book. We LOVE HP!!! I read so much growing up I had a lot of favorites..one that comes to mind is Ramona by Beverly Cleary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your MSBHQAL blocks are looking good. They weren't a series, but I loved any book by E.L. Konigsburg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blocks look fab!!! My favorite books when I was a kid were A Wrinkle In Time, Little Women and Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. My daughter is almost 4, but I can't wait til she is a little older and I can read HP to her. How awesome for you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne of Green Gables! Love your blocks. I hate waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blocks! Mine are taking me just that long as well :) My very favorite at that age was Matilda by Roald Dahl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab blocks! Love the colors. I did a craft show once...it almost killed me:) Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the Enid Blyton books, especially the Famous Five series and The Magic Faraway Tree series. She was an English author who wrote hundreds of books.

    ReplyDelete