Wednesday 11 September 2013

WIP Wednesday


The last chevron quilt is quilted!!  And I may not make another one by choice for a while LOL.  Like the pink one, I quilted this 1/4" on either side of the chevron in blue thread.  Next up binding.


While reading Maureen's post about her late night inspiration I was blown away by the simplicity of combining QAYG and strings.  I've been wanting to do a string quilt for a while but wasn't crazy about using a base.  Molli has a fantastic tutorial for string blocks but I wanted something a bit scrappier and bigger.  The brilliance of using my batting as the backing hit me and I needed to begin RIGHT NOW!  So last night I trimmed up some batting scraps and pressed/trimmed a handful of strings.  After a tough morning of uninspired "needs to be done" sewing I grabbed my pile and sewed up these four blocks.  And got happy :)


Over the weekend, as we made the bed, my husband said "We are going to need a quilt soon" and I sighed.  Because he is right.  The nights have been downright chilly.  Over the weekend I went to work cutting.  And cutting.  And cutting.  Several hours later I had this lovely pile of squares and strips ready for some marathon chain piecing sessions.  I do want to clarify something from my last post.  The close up of my first block does indeed show three 2 1/2" squares for the center white strip, but in all of my subsequent blocks I have used a single strip for that long white section :)

Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced

2 comments:

  1. I am loving the idea as batting for backing in your strip piecing! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it all! The chevron especially. ;) Now I'm off to check out that string piecing tut. Way to go with the genius idea of batting!!

    ReplyDelete